Laurel School's 10th Annual Day of Service celebrating the legacy of The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Monday, January 20, 2020 | 9:00 AM *
Laurel School's Lyman Campus
One Lyman Circle
Shaker Heights, OH 44122
FREE AND OPEN TO THE PUBLIC. Advanced registration is required.Questions?
|| Light continental breakfast in the Dining Room
|| Presentation by Laurel School's Diversity Fellows
|| Off-campus service departure
|| On-campus service activities begin
|| On-campus activities completed
Contact Olivia Cora at oCora@LaurelSchool.org
or 216-455-3095.*In the event that inclement weather should cancel this event, please check your email, the Laurel School website and/or Laurel's social media channels for updates.
SERVICE ACTIVITIES AT LAUREL'S LYMAN CAMPUSDonation options:
Murtis H. Taylor
- Gently used and washed toys, for girls and boys of all ages, to be donated to Murtis H. Taylor Multi Service Center.
- Toilitries for the Norma Herr Women's Center (toothbrush/toothpaste, bar soap, deodorant, laundry detergent pods, adult Depends).
is a community-based organization that provides Behavioral Health, Addiction, Youth, Family and Senior services. They serve more than 11,000 children and adults annually at twelve locations. The organization moves individuals and communities toward optimal health by diminishing the effects of illness, discrimination, bias, and poverty through innovation, partnership and research.
provides access to immediate, low-barrier shelter and services. The organization strives to empower women in the NHWC to receive services to which they are entitled and which they often require in order to overcome their experiences of homelessness, trauma, physical abuse and substance abuse, and re-establish self-sufficiency and independence in our community. Its main focus is to encourage women in the shelter to make informed decisions about themselves and to increase the resources available to women in the shelter.
All donations can be dropped off at Laurel's front desk, brought to the MLK Day of Service event or placed in the bin by the Winged Victory statue on the second floor.
- Tie Blankets
- Notecards to be decorated and coupled with the toys given to Murtis H. Taylor Multi Service Center
- Sorting toilitries for the Norma Herr Women's Center
- MLK Trivia Games
OFF-CAMPUS SERVICE ACTIVITIES*
Intergenerational School - you will be decorating eight classroom doors and six bulletin boards to celebrate African American history.
- Time: 10:45 am - 1:30 pm
- Age: 10 & up (youth between the ages of 10-14 must be accompanied by an adult)
- Location Address: 11327 Shaker Blvd, Cleveland, OH 44104
Kids' Book Bank - you will be sorting books. This location will be able to accommodate up to 20 people.
- Time: 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Age: 13 & up (youth between the ages of 13-16 must be accompanied by an adult)
- Location: 3635 Perkins Ave #1E, Cleveland, OH 44114
*Transportation will not be provided. Upon arrival, you will need to sign a waiver at your selected location. Each location has a specific minimum age requirement.