New to the 2015 Summer at Laurel programming is a partnership with Illinois-based Game On! Sports Camp 4 Girls. Game On! is in its ninth year and is expanding to Boulder, CO and Northeast Ohio this summer. Laurel is proud to partner with this one-of-a-kind sports camp for girls. The camps will be offered for six weeks beginning June 15 and are open to girls of all athletic abilities entering Pre-K through Grade Eight.
Congratulations to Tricia Roscoe ’16 for finishing third in the OHSAA State Diving Tournament! Her final score was 425.90 – amazing for this Junior who has been diving for just three years.
Cleveland.com High School Sports: West Geauga's freshman Kamryn Goodrick finishes second at OHSAA Division II state diving; Laurel third
The Gators are receiving lots of media attention as they roll into postseason play!
From Cleveland.com: "Laurel girls basketball player Nicole Felice answers 8 questions: Varsity Timeout"
Earlier this month, Cleveland.com published the fan picks for their 2015 girls basketball midseason awards. Laurel was nominated in five categories and won all five!
- Coach Tim McMahon won “midseason coach of the year” with 32% of the votes.
- Alex Cade ‘17 won “midseason sophomore of the year” with 28% of the votes.
- Nicole Felice ‘15 won “midseason senior of the year” with 24% of the votes.
- Alex Cade ‘17 won “top post at the midseason” with 24% of the votes.
- Nicole Felice ‘15 won “most consistent scorer at midseason” with 27% of the votes.
Laurel's Head of School, Ann V. Klotz, has just published her 17th piece in The Huffington Post. Following is an excerpt from "Double Sixes: What Backgammon and My Daughter Taught Me About How to Lighten Up" which was posted in the "Parents" section:
Finally one night she said, "We could just play, Mom. Isn't this a game? You don't have to tell me what to do on every move." I nodded, "Sure, it's a game." We started again. I stopped trying to turn her into a backgammon maven. I stopped grimacing when she counted tentatively. I watched her make good decisions by herself, without my input. I lost a few games. I chose to ignore a few opportunities when I could have gone for the jugular because seeing your daughter's look of triumph in victory is more important than winning. "Ease up," I side-coached myself. "Just play."
The Jewish Book Council has recognized Laurel alumna Kathryn Hellerstein '70 with a National Jewish Book Award in Women's Studies for her book, "A Question of Tradition: Women Poets in Yiddish."
From the Jewish Book Council's website: “The National Jewish Book Awards is the longest running awards program of its kind in the field of Jewish literature and is recognized as the most prestigious. The awards, presented by category, are designed to give recognition to outstanding books, to stimulate writers to further literary creativity and to encourage the reading of worthwhile titles.”
link to Penn News article Penn Professor Kathryn Hellerstein Wins National Jewish Book Award
link to list of 2014 National Jewish Book Award Winners and Finalists
- MonMar02 Dare Week
- MonMar02 Grade 10 Ohio Graduation Tests
- MonMar02 Game On! Sports Camp 4 Girls FREE PREVIEW 3:30 PM to 4:30 PMLyman Campus - Small Gymnasium
- MonMar02 US Parent/Advisor Conferences 3:30 PM to 6:00 PM
- TueMar03 Grade 10 Ohio Graduation Tests
- TueMar03 Game On! Sports Camp 4 Girls FREE PREVIEW 3:30 PM to 4:30 PMLyman Campus - Small Gymnasium
- TueMar03 US Parent/Advisor Conferences 3:30 PM to 6:00 PM
- TueMar03 The Katherine S.B. Mills Photography Exhibit and Reception CHANGED: The date of this event has been changed from March 5 to March 3, 2015. 6:00 PM to 8:00 PMLyman Campus - Holloway Gallery
- WedMar04 Grade 10 Ohio Graduation Tests
- WedMar04 CRG Parent Forum: Girls and Test Anxiety 7:00 PM to 8:30 PMLaurel's Lyman Campus
- ThuMar05 Grade 10 Ohio Graduation Tests
- ThuMar05 Coffee for Parents of Accepted Pre-Primary and Primary School Students 8:45 AM to 10:00 AM
- FriMar06 Grade 10 Ohio Graduation Tests
- FriMar06 Primary School Drop-In for Prospective Parents 8:30 AM to 10:00 AM
- SatMar07 Outdoor Pre-Primary Preview 9:30 AM to 11:00 AMButler Campus